Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The most talented kid I know!

Maybe I am biased, being her mother and all, but Gummi Bear has got to be the most talented kid I know.  She loves to act, sing, dance, draw/paint/sculpt/photograph, and she is interested in martial arts so she can "become a ninja".  How awesome is that?!?  I could write an entire novel about how incredible my daughter is...as, I'm sure, most parents could...but I won't (right now).  Heh!


Aside from one short season of little-kid soccer, and a funtastic Santa writer's workshop (taught by my friend Ashley), she really hasn't experienced organized learning outside of the home (aka: classes).  Most of that is my/our fault for not looking into these things sooner and signing her up for anything and everything possible.  While in soccer, Gummi Bear preferred goofing off with her teammates on the sidelines over being on the field, and back then I found that to be more discouraging than it should have been.  Just how much interest/focus is a 3yr-old (at the time) supposed to have for organized sports anyway?  I didn't know, but I had hoped it was more than it was.  Now I look back and I'm quite impressed with how much interest/focus she really did have.

2015, the year Gummi Bear will turn 5, will be a full year for sure.  My husband and I are still considering our options regarding her scholastic future.  Do we home school?  Do we send her to school?  Either way, we both agree that Kindergarten (5yrs-old) is a little too early to be putting our child into "the system"...so, unless something changes between now and then, I don't believe she will be starting school next year.  That being said, how else is this incredibly talented and curious child going to get her "kid fix" (and a little extra special learning) if we don't find some classes to sign her up in ASAP?  Well...I think I've found a solution.  One of Gummi Bear's friends takes gymnastics, and the company offers a trial class so you can try it before you "buy" it.  I would like to coordinate her trial class with her friend's regular class, so she can experience it for the first time with a friend by her side.  And, if it is something she enjoys, then we're in business!  I also looked up acting classes, and found a company that's been teaching acting to kids of all ages for nearly 35 years.  They have excellent reviews, and they even have former students who are now grown and working their as adults (which, in my mind, says a lot about the company).  Since my daughter LOVES to direct scenes when you're playing with her, and she even mimics a clap-board before she narrates scenarios she sets up with her toys, I think acting classes might be right up her alley.  Those classes don't start until February, so in the meantime I was thinking we could set up little plays/scenes here at home that we can perform for one another and guests/family.  I can't wait to see how it all works out.

I love the idea of her becoming a ninja, but I'm hesitant to sign her up for martial arts.  First of all, my dad is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and he is qualified to be a teacher...unfortunately, my folks live about an hour away, so regular lessons with him aren't very reasonable right now.  They do plan on moving closer soon, and maybe then Gummi Bear can begin Tae Kwon Do lessons with her Papa.  Secondly, she has always been tall for her age which kind of makes her a little clumsy.  Gymnastics could help her learn how to move her body and prepare her for the physical control needed for any kind of martial arts.  And lastly...we're just not ready for her to become a ninja yet.  We might have to take martial arts lessons with her, so we can defend ourselves if she ever decides to attack.  Heh!

The night time is my time to do my sneaky mom stuff...and I think I've planned and researched enough for tonight.  I even managed to post this blog and get a lot of my ideas out of my head and on to the screen.  This *should* help me quiet my brain enough to get some sleep soon.  Thanks for listening...

- Angel

No comments: